As a new writer, I'm learning more and more that nothing is ever set in stone. At least not writing-wise. As soon as I think I have the plot figured out, something comes up that proves me wrong.
I forget where I was reading this or what writer was saying it, but they were talking about how even fantasy has to have believability. No, obviously everything can't be because that's the very nature of fantasy; fairies, dragons, magical swords and the like aren't going to appear in our backyard asking to play. But, we have to keep things in order or people wont want to read it. That means that genealogies have to match up, timelines must be reasonable and logical, the MC's have to have faults (no Mary-Sues). Normally I don't have a problem until we get to Mary Sues. A Mary Sue is a character that is too perfect, they do unrealistic things, are supposedly normal but possess this inhuman ability to do something that really shouldn't happen.
So, book one has got to go through some major revising. I realized, first off, that like any writer, the main character of your first book starts off emulating yourself. As I went back to fix this though, add some faults, change others, I didn't patch all the holes. Yes, the beginning is....better, but she's almost two different people in places. She's not coherent, rather, she's just a mix of herself and myself that has no defining points. She's not special enough to make people want to read about her adventures. So, no more query letters for now.
Book two... I have an idea for the plot, but I honestly haven't worked on it in months or at all since I got this plot idea. I figure it should wait till I finish book one....again.
Which, in turn, I am putting off until I finish my current book. Haha, I know, make up my mind, but it's pretty hard. This book is going fairly well, but so far my writing with it is more fluid, fluid, fluid, idea, idea, idea, nothing, stumble along for awhile, and new idea! fluid, fluid, fluid, rinse and repeat. It needs work, I'm sure the editing/revising process will take a long time, but oh well.
Another thing I've learned from writing: few, if any, books will do like Lexy and write themselves in three months. If they do, something is probably seriously wrong, again like Lexy.
Devos: could be better, but not too bad
School: Physics test today, ugh. First one, then going over it with Mrs. Johnson later tonight
Coupons: Last week I only went on Wednesday when I got $10 in donations and one sale, pray for more success
Family: sick. Mom and Vanna both and I would really, really like to stay healthy thank you.
Awesome song: At the Beginning from the Anastasia soundtrack. Love it, even Mom likes it! Hmm, there's an idea... I could give a song every time I update for people to check out. Though, sorry, might not be to everyone's taste...
Oh, that reminds me. If everyone could comment one thing they would like me to post about, I will do my best to fill any/all requests I get. This is to answer questions about anything, or just because you feel like bugging me with my opinion on whether Hershey's or Ghiradelli is better chocolate. (PS: Ghiradelli all the way!) It is also because the blog tends to go weeks at a time without an update because everyone who reads it pretty much knows everything that goes on in my life and I really don't have any ideas lately. Soooooo.... comment please! I want to be flooded with all 5 of you people's inputs! Haha.
YES!!! GHIRIDELLI!!! Song is cool ideea!! Sorry bout the story...
ReplyDelete