Well, it was only a month so that's not too horrible right? Ok, yeah, it is. Because of the time, I'll update very quickly on a few key things before moving on.
My Secret Santa was actually my boss. Which means that instead of getting a gift that met the $10 limit on the last day, I actually got a $50 gift card to Wal-Mart. Oh. Yeah.
I am now a student as SVSU (despite what my CMU decal might suggest...). LOVE SVSU so much more that CMU. No more "We are so much better than you" attitudes. I also changed my degree program from General English to Technical and Professional Writing with a minor in Art.
Rewriting.... We'll get to that later because I have a request/challenge for all of you.
Work is going fairly well... almost rid of the horrible mom, almost.
Ok, now on to the main part which consists of a status on my story that people keep asking me about. I did start rewriting, and have been. However, I noticed something when I started to type everything up the other day. I have my introduction scene for Dakota. Many scenes for him are written actually, I just can't put them on the computer for one. dumb. reason. I can't type the book out of order. Physically. Incapable. So, I keep trying to write an introduction for Corinne because I hate my first one as it makes her parents sound nasty and tries to introduce too much information at once. Now, here is your task, faithful readers....
I need some feedback on the introduction. Ideas. Suggestions. Jokes. Something! So, if you would be so kind, please comment with where you would like to meet Corinne, a few facts you would like to be given in that introduction, and maybe even how you meet her. Edith also has to come in within that first scene so if you want bonus points, there you go. Winner gets... something prize-like. Thanks muchly in advance!
Ok, now let's wrap this up because it already took 2.5 days to do and I have work to go to and cookies to eat.
Music: Heart of the World by Lady Antebellum. Gorgeous!
Books: Ha, don't I wish
School: My communications teacher is Awesome!
Last cuteness!: PANDA!!!
TTFN; Ta ta for now!
I do agree that I think it would be better for Edith to come to Corrine's house. Since she's already a big traveler, it would make sense that she arranged to pick up Corrine on her way back home from her most recent adventure.
ReplyDeleteI understand the trouble with characters coming off as far more...angsty than they are supposed to be simply because that's how the story starts and the readers have no previous experience with them. I have one serious moper of an MC at the moment. :p
As far as introduction scene ideas.... Just off the top of my head: 1) Corrine bidding farewell to her coworkers on her last day of work for a while, 2) Aunt Edith bursting in with a "Surprise", shocking Corrine, who's parents haven't found the right time to inform her of her plans for the summer (though that seems like too much, it could make for some comedy), 3).... I'm really bad at introductions, too. I don't know why it is.
Maybe a short scene (prologue) of her at her boyfriend's funeral to introduce her situation so the readers don't hate her in the opening scene where she's all depressed?
By now it should be clear that one ought not to ask me for brainstorming suggestions. But maybe my top-of-the-head answers will spark an idea. (If not, I apologize for wasting your time.)
Good luck to you! :p
Actually, I really thoroughly enjoy the popping in part and had done something briefly that was similar but wasn't sure how to work it. I also really like the idea of showing her at the funeral... Maybe waking up from a dream about it? Though that seems very cliche... Flashback images during the scene perhaps?
ReplyDeleteLike I said, if all I accomplished was to get the gears grinding, I will feel like I did my job. :D
ReplyDeleteI read something recently that listed 5 or 10 of the worst ways to open a story, and I think the very first was to have a dream sequence. I now have something like a severe aversion to them. (Don't let that deter you; just my view on them, and it probably is influenced by the fact that I never could write them.) Lol.
If they're done well, I do like flashbacks, so long as they aren't so long that the audience forgets what's happening in the present.
I really don't have any suggestions....
ReplyDeleteWell, I read that too which is why I'm almost terrified to do one. I guess just brief (brief) flashbacks or something.
ReplyDeleteVanna: You're just a bum